Are you experiencing odor in your home due to cat urine? The odor of cat urine can stay around for quite a long period of time unless you take effective steps to eliminate it. Even worse is the fact that the lingering odor can cause your cat to urinate in the same area again, further adding to the odor problem.
How to Eliminate Cat Urine Odor?
What’s the best way to clean cat urine from your carpet and eliminate cat urine odor so your carpet will be restored to its original state?
- Start by blotting as much of the cat urine out of the carpet as you can by using a cotton towel. You want to make sure the carpet is free of obvious urine before initiating the cleaning process. You should continue blotting until the towel is completely dry to the touch.
- Mix a solution of one part white vinegar to three parts water in a glass container. Apply this mixture until it penetrates into the fibers of your carpeting to remove the deeper odor.
- Allow the vinegar solution to dry completely before proceeding. If you need to speed up the process, use a fan to dry the area more quickly.
- Sprinkle the area you’ve just cleaned with a layer of baking soda.
- Create a solution of one cup of 3% hydrogen peroxide to which you add one teaspoon of a liquid soap such as dishwashing liquid. Before using this on your carpeting, test it by applying it to a small area of carpeting that’s not readily visible. If no discoloration of your rug occurs, lightly apply this solution over the baking soda.
- Lightly rub the cleaned area of carpeting with the hydrogen peroxide/soda solution.
- Vacuum the area after allowing the solution to dry completely on your carpeting.
The cat urine odor and stain should be completely gone at this point and your carpet should be back to its original state. It’s good to know you no longer have to fear cat urine odor when you have this powerful technique to remove the urine and its undesirable smell.